17 May May 18 is the National Asian American and Pacific Islander Day Against Bullying and Hate
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 18, 2023
Today, May 18, 2023, is the 5th Annual National AAPI Day Against Bullying and Hate.
On this day, Act To Change is joined by nearly 40 cities and states, over 100 partner organizations, 20 sponsors, and supporters like you to raise a unified voice against bullying and hate.
Asian American and Pacific Islander kids and teens are bullied every day online, in schools, playgrounds and their learning environments. Kids face social isolation, verbal bullying, and even physical violence.
We’re all too familiar with “Where are you really from?” and “Your English is so good!” Our country has a long history of anti-AAPI racism – starting from the Chinese Exclusion Act to the incarceration of 120,000 Japanese Americans, annexation of Hawaiian Islands, post 9/11 racial profiling of Muslim Americans, and nearly 12,000 cases of COVID-19 fueled hate acts. The mass shootings in Allen, Monterey Park and Half Moon Bay show that hate has taken strong roots within all our communities.
In an environment that continually others us as “perpetual foreigners”, AAPI youth shine and inspire us every day. We grow up searching for belonging – and today AAPI youth are creating spaces that welcomes everyone, where everyone feels like they belong. From youth activists to fashion designers, scientists, and photographers, our youth are changing the world.
May 18, 2023 would have been Vincent Chin’s 68th birthday. Chin was a Chinese American man who was brutally murdered simply for being Asian. Today we honor Chin and everybody who has been told they are unworthy because of the way they look, and everyone who has faced verbal or physical abuse simply for being different.
Today we are embracing our differences and celebrating our inspirational youth leaders. Today is an opportunity for us to all to collectively say NO to bullying. Every day is a day against bullying, and every day is a chance to spread kindness, awareness, and love.
WAYS TO SUPPORT:
✍️ Take the pledge to always speak up against bullying and injustice. And share the Act To Change pledge with 10 friends.
🎨 Raise awareness on social media with these shareable graphics.
💯 Make a donation to Act To Change. Donations are fully tax-deductible and go towards anti-bullying initiatives and programming.
📖 Learn our community’s rich histories with One Day of AAPI History by AAPI Youth Rising.
- National AAPI Day Against Bullying and Hate is an annual commemoration led by anti-bullying non-profit Act To Change since 2019.
- Act To Change is a national 401(c)(3) organization that fights bullying with multi-pronged approaches of programming, policy, data, and curriculum. Learn more at acttochange.org.
- 49% of AAPIs have faced discrimination or unfair treatment that may be illegal.
- 50% of AAPIs experiencing discrimination report feeling sad, stressed, anxious or depressed as a result.
- Young and female Asian Americans are among the least likely of all racial groups to feel acceptance and belonging in America.
- 8 out of 10 Asian Americans have experienced bullying in-person or online.
Thank you the 40+ cities and states that proclaimed May 18 as the National AAPI Day Against Bullying and Hate, 100+ partner organizations and all our generous sponsors!